1st Lt. David Richard Reynolds Camp, SCV, Mount Pleasant, Texas


Confederate Flags

Arthur Campbell Reynolds
Second Sergeant
Company D, 9th Texas Infantry
Maxey's Brigade

Confederate Flags


Arthur Campbell Reynolds was born October 21, 1832, near Shelbyville, Tennessee. On February 19, 1832 to Henry Runnels of Franklin County, Tennessee bought a one-half acre lot situated in the county of Jackson and town of Bellefonte, Alabama. (Runnels is the way our Reynolds was pronounced). We believe our Reynolds came to Bellefonte or Coffeetown - now called Langston - in Jackson County, Alabama in the early 1840's. In Capt. Paddock's History of North & West Texas. 1906 Vol. II, Henry and Mary (Brown, d/o John G. Brown-VA) Reynolds had nine children: Andrew, Sally m. Henry Dukes, John, Arthur Campbell, Elizabeth m. Wm. Starnes Willbourn, Anna m. Stan Maples, David Richard, Nancy B. m. Albert G. Brown, and Mary Lucinda m. Gilbert Davis.

A. C. came to Titus County, Texas in 1857. He paid Poll Tax for 1858, District of Red River, Titus County, Texas. In 1860 he lived near Daingerfield with James R. and Leanna Raines who were neighbors in Jackson County, Alabama in 1850. On July 13, 1861, Arthur joined the Spring Hill Reserves of Titus County. September 1, 1861, A.C. joined the Confederate Army at Daingerfield, Co. "D" 9th Tex. Inf., Maxey's Regt. A. C.'s brother, David Richard, was in the same Co. "D". For four years, A.C. fought in many battles in different states and was wounded at least three times, until Lee surrendered. He was not taken prisoner. His parole is dated July 25, 1865 at Jefferson, Texas, permitting him to return to his home in Titus County, He never drew a pension.

August 24, 1865, he married Miss Mary Malisa (Melissa) Loving, born July 15, 1847 in Benela, Calhoun County, Mississippi. She was the daughter of Solon Addison and Catherine Ann (Stevens) Loving who were both born and reared in Alabama. The Stevens moved to Hopewell, Chickasaw County, Mississippi in the mid 1840's. A.C. moved his family to Montague County, Texas in November 1877, buying a 320 acre farm northeast of Nocona near Eagle Point. They raised stock, wheat, oats, corn, and cotton (a garden, chickens and kids). They were Presbyterians. A.C. was a democrat, Mason, and they both belonged to the Order of the Eastern Star. After Melissa died, Art lived with his son, Henry. He grew a garden the summer before he died of pneumonia in January, and was planning another. In it he grew his own tobacco. He always took up for the grandkids when they got in trouble, as kids will, but still, was a good, strict grandpa. He had two brothers and three sisters that also came to Texas, and they were a very close family.

Art and Melissa had fourteen children, the first is believed to have died at birth. The first eight were born near Daingerfield, the last six at Eagle Point. Madorah Ann (1868-1905/b. Fairview Cemetery, Maguire, Oklahoma) married Samuel Lee Allen. Dora had ten children, Joseph Robert Dolan (1869-1890/b. Eagle Point) married Maud V. Benton. They had one son, Roy Dolan. Uncle Bob had mumps/measles, got up and went for help when the son was born. Bob died four days later. Maud later married Luther Walker. Francis Virginia (1870-1959/b. Stonewall, Oklahoma) married John Hillard Tackett Davis. Fannie had eight children. Delurah Magdalene "Maggie" (1872-1946/b. Peerless, Texas) m1. John Titsworth (no children). m2 William Foster Titsworth (one son, Bill, Jr.), m3. John Benjamin Robertson (two daughters, Mary-this writer's mother and Dollie). Sarah Ofielier (1874-1885/b. Eagle Point. This Cemetery is on private property, well kept, still used. Sally shares a stone with sister, Donnie M., two separate graves). Nancy Maud (1875-1936/b. Nocona) married William J. Maples. Maud had four children. Flora Syble (1877-1963/b. Nocona) married Arthur Gallatin Brown. Flora had six children. Theora Chapman "Ora" (1889-1969/b. Chattanooga, TN) married Jacob Atkins Dobbins. They lived in Texas, Oklahoma, Tennessee, and Florida when Jake died. Ora had no children. Mary Rosa (1882-1952/b. Pringle, Cumby Cemetery, Wise County) married Frank Eugene Taylor. Rose had two children. S. Donnie May (1884-1890/shares a stone with Sally). Story is, brother Bob loved her very much, cared for her too closely, caught her mumps/measles. Henry Addison (1886-1962/b. Nocona) married Anna Louise Battles. They had six children. David Cleveland (1888-1961/b. Nocona) m1. Allie May Battles, m2. Mrs. Gertrude (Johnson) Meyers. No children by either. Arthur Orville (1891-1939-auto accident, St. Jo/b. Nocona) married Alta Maud Battles. They had two sons.

Melissa died February 9, 1913, and Art died January 21, 1922, both at Nocona. Both are buried in the Nocona Cemetery. I did not know them, but they are great-grandparents of whom I'm very proud to be a descendant, from all I've heard and the research I've done. I hope they would have been proud of me, Maggie's granddaughter.

In Capt. Paddock's book History of North and West Texas Vol. II there is a very lengthy article about Arthur Campbell Reynolds. In part of it he writes:
A.C Reynolds was born in middle Tennessee and when ten years of age accompanied his parents on their removal to Alabama, where he was reared, remaining under the parental roof until twenty-four years of age. In 1857 he removed to Titus County, Texas, where he was employed until 1861, when he enlisted in the Confederate army under Captain Beason in Maxie's regiment, which was assigned to the Army of the Tennessee. He participated in many hotly contested engagements and skirmishes, including the battles of Murfreesboro, Franklin, Perryville, Chickamauga and others of less importance. He saw hard service, undergoing all the deprivations and hardships of war. He was never taken prisoner but he was three times wounded sustaining two flesh wounds, one through a part of the shoulder that has since been a constant source of annoyance to him. He was a faithful soldier, always on duty, displaying valor and loyalty on the field of battle, and never but once did he receive a furlough and that near the close of the war, making a visit to his home in February, 1865. On the expiration of his term he started back to join his command but while on the way heard that Lee had surrendered and returned home, so that Mr. Reynolds himself never surrendered. In Reminiscences of the Boys in Gray, 1861 - 1865 Miss Maxine Yeary writes:

A.C. Reynolds, Nocona, Texas -- Born Oct. 21, 1832, near Shelbyville. Enlisted in the Confederate Army in Daingerfield, Titus County, Texas Sept. 1, 1861, as private in Company D, Ninth Texas Regiment, 8th Brigade, Cheatham's Division, Polk's Corps, Army of Tennessee. His Captain was Beason and first Colonel was Maxey. After the battle of Murfreesboro was transferred to Ector's Brigade, French's Division, and moved back and forth from Mississippi to Tennessee. Was wounded at Chickamauga, in the shoulder, on the second day. Was wounded in the hip at Marietta, Ga., and in the hand at Nashville, Tenn.

Was promoted on the field for bravery at Murfreesboro on Dec. 31 to Second Sergeant, and held this position till the close of the war. Was in the battles of Perryville, Ky.; Murfreesboro, Lost Mountain, Jonesboro, Kennesaw Mountain, Franklin and Nashville, Tenn, and a hard fight at Alltonna, Ga. The war cheated me out of four years of my life.

A.C. started to write of his own time during the Civil War. The following was copied from a note found in his trunk, in his writing. He was almost 84 years old when he wrote this.

A. C. Reynolds - Nocona, Texas - September 9, 1916
From an old southern soldier. I will tell my travels, here is my trails during four years of the war. I went from Daingerfield, Titus County, Texas in Captain Beason's Company close to Bonham where the Regiment was organized under General Maxey as Colonel of the 9th Texas Infantry Regiment. I was in Company "D". From there foot to Little Rock, Arkansas, from there to DeValls Bluff, took a boat to Memphis; from there to Iuka, Mississippi, then to Corinth; after Battle of Shiloh, back to Tupelo, from there to Mobile, Alabama, from there took a boat up the Alabama River to Montgomery, from there to Atlanta, Georgia, from there to Chattanooga, sent west of the Lookout Mountain and there stood guard on Tennessee River till army was organized. There put us in Smith's Brigade and Cheatham's Division, then through Tennessee to Kentucky, after surrender of Munfordville on to Perryville and after the Battle of Perryville to Knoxville, Tennessee, then back to Chattanooga, then to McMinnville, Tennessee, then to Murfreesboro, then to Shelbyville, from there to Jackson, Mississippi and there laid around. (Unfinished).

Arthur Cambell as a young man           Arthur Cambell as an old man