1st Lt. David Richard Reynolds Camp #2270, SCV, Mount Pleasant, Texas

 

Johnson-Batte Cemetery
Guardian: Talks With White Buffalo

Located about 7 miles East of Mt. Pleasant on the south side of FM Highway 1000 on a 40 acre tract of land owned by the heirs of G. Q. Davis. It was named after the J. F. Johnson family who was probably one of the first families to live in the area and owned this land. It is also believed to have been owned by W. C. Batte. Lynch Harper states in his books that the Batte Family first gave the cemetery and that in all probability Mrs. Batte was buried there in 1859. He further states that from information he had the cemetery was a large cemetery. The history of the cemetery is so convoluted, it is not covered herein. Mr. Harper has an extensive treatment in his book. On north side of FM 1000 is a lost Negro cemetery. Both White and Negro sites had numerous graves but all remnants of that cemetery have been removed.

In addition to two marked graves, there is a large native stone and a monument base that evidently marked two additional grave sites.

To reach the Johnson-Batte Cemetery from the Titus County court house, take Madison Street south for 0.3 mile to the intersection with Ferguson Road (US 271). Turn left onto Ferguson Road and continue Southeast (the road becomes Texas Highway 49). Proceed 5.5 miles to the intersection from the left of FM 1000. Turn left onto FM 1000 and continue for 1.5 miles. The cemetery lies about 50 yards on the right in a pasture. Coordinates: 33o07.264'N 094o51.567'W

The Guardian for this cemetery is Talks With White Buffalo. If you know the exact location of any of these gravesites that was not found, or if you know of any other Confederate Soldier that is buried here and not listed then please Contact Us.

NAME BIRTH DATE DEATH DATE REGIMENT RANK PHOTO
Smith, Albert Curlee 11/25/1830 07/28/1878 Co. I, 7th Tennessee Cavalry Pvt. Pvt. Albert Curlee Smith