1st Lt. David Richard Reynolds Camp #2270, SCV, Mount Pleasant, Texas

 

Hickory Hill Cemetery

The Hickory Hill cemetery typifies so many of those cemeteries in Titus County in that it originated in a thriving community that ultimately vanished and the history behind it was lost with the passing of the “Old Timers”. From deed records, it can be shown that the cemetery property had its beginning as property of the Hickory Hill School. No doubt, as the community dwindled and faded, the property was bought by the International Order of Foresters. Ownership then passed to the Woodmen of the World organization and then the grounds began to be used for burial sites for the local public. Now the cemetery sits across a County Road (CR) from the Hickory Hill Missionary Baptist Church in the Southeast section of Titus County. It is fenced with a chain link fence and gated. Ground maintenance within the cemetery is well provided for.

Most of the older markers such as native rocks, wooden crosses, etc. have been removed through the years. Some evidence still remains such as a pile of native rocks. Whether these rocks currently mark an early grave site is unclear. Now, there are at least 78 marble slabs that have been set to indicate locations of grave sites but there is no identifying information on them. Additionally, three concrete slabs, four unreadable funeral home markers (FHM), a marble slab with “LKK”inscribed, and a slate slab with “DFL” inscribed marked other grave sites.

Hickory Hill holds a memorial service or Decoration Day each year on the second Saturday in May. Care for the cemetery is dependent on donations of families and friends of those interred in the cemetery. Those donations can be made to the Cemetery Committee which, as of this writing consisted of: President - Tom Clark 572-4110, Treasurer - Virginia Roach, Secretary - Nelda Baker 572-5842, and members Gary Baker, Kay Clark, Odell Riggs, and O. T. Riggs.

To reach the Hickory Hill Cemetery from the Titus County court house, take Madison Street south for 0.3 mile to the intersection with Ferguson Road (US 271). Turn left onto Ferguson Road and continue Southeast (the road becomes Texas Highway 49). Proceed 3.8 miles to the intersection of Chapel Hill Road (FM 1735). Turn right onto FM 1735 and continue for 5.5 miles to the intersection (from the right) with County Road (CR) 4760 (CR SE23). Turn right onto CR 4760 and proceed for 0.3 miles to the cemetery on the right side of the road. Coordinates: 33o04.482'N 094o51.355'W

At the present time, there is no Guardian for this cemetery. If you are interested, or if you know of any other Confederate Soldier that is buried here and not listed then please Contact Us.

NAME BIRTH DATE DEATH DATE REGIMENT RANK PHOTO
Barber, Matthew Tolbert 1825 1890 Co. B, 18th Texas Infantry Pvt.  
Coley, Charley Capers 11/28/1834 01/05/1906 Co. D, 18th Texas Infantry Pvt.  
Gardner, J.E. 11/09/1834 08/06/1910 Co. G, 29th Texas Cavalry Sgt.  
Roach, James Andrew 07/04/1843 01/09/1907 Co. B, Phillips Legion Cavalry    
Sims, Daniel Edwards 02/02/1841 06/12/1918 Co. D, 1st Texas Infantry Bell's Texas Rangers Pvt.  
Smith, Henry Givens 01/14/1820 03/19/1883 Co. B, 37th Alabama Infantry Pvt.  
White, Francis Marion 11/15/1840 06/12/1933 Co. B, 56th Georgia Infantry Pvt.