1st Lt. David Richard Reynolds Camp #2270, SCV, Mount Pleasant, Texas


Nevill's Chapel Cemetery
Guardian: Alvin "Rex" McGee

The Nevill’s Chapel Cemetery is a public cemetery that has been in existence since the mid 1800s. It lies approximately 2.5 miles north of Mt. Pleasant in the community and adjacent to the Baptist Church bearing the name, Nevill’s Chapel. The name derives from the one of the original families who’s patriarch, Alexander Nevill, was the surveyor for a large part of Northeast Texas. The Nevill’s Chapel school was once directly across the road from the cemetery. Nevill’s Chapel cemetery had its beginnings as a family cemetery for the Nevills family until 1906 when Mrs. Mary Nevill gave a deed for one acre for burial purposes to the deacons of the Nevill’s Chapel Missionary Baptist Church. . Since that grant, L. A. Cochran, M. O. (Oscar) Combs, and others have given deeds to increase the acreage of the cemetery.

The cemetery has been awarded an Official Texas Historical Marker. The inscription states: “The Alexander B. Nevill family came from Tennessee to settle in Titus County in 1838, establishing their family burial ground on one acre west of their new home in the Alexander Nevill headright survey. The earliest burial on this site was that of Napoleon B. Neville, who died in 1854 at age 20. Alexander Nevill (1804-1854) had the earliest birth date of those interred here. Another grave of interest is that of James C. “Sam” Rowland, a Nevill son-in-law, one of the few men officially hanged in Titus County. Mrs. Mary Neville deeded the family plot to the deacons of the adjoining Missionary Baptist Church in 1906. In 1913 the first Decoration Day took place as families gathered to tend their plots and share a celebration of Spring. The cemetery grew steadily throughout the 20th century. By 1997, A count revealed 1,113 graves. Of these, 1071 had legible headstones; 42 had unidentifiable markers. Those interred here were primarily families of the Nevill’s Chapel community. They include veterans of the American Armed Forces of American and International conflicts. Now covering six acres and cared for by a cemetery association, the Nevill’s Chapel Cemetery continues to serve the community, and such traditions as an annual Dedication Day continue to be observed.”

From the Titus County court house take Jefferson Street (Business US 271) north 1.4 miles to the intersection of Jefferson and Burton (access road of I-30). Turn right (East) onto Burton and continue 0.5 miles to the intersection of Burton and FM 1402 (Harts Bluff Road). Turn left (North) on FM 1402 and proceed 1 mile to the intersection of County Road 3210 (NE 8). The cemetery lies about 0.2 miles on the left.

Many grave sites are unmarked and many have stones, old funeral home markers (fhm), granite slabs and concrete blocks. There is one concrete block with a fhm, 10 fhm, 2 granite markers that read “Infant”, 49 granite slabs, 2 petrified rocks, granite slab with an unreadable fhm, 10 concrete blocks, 8 concrete manufactured markers with the inscription gone, 6 rocks, and a marker with the initials “O. H. M.”.

The Guardian for this cemetery is Alvin "Rex" McGee. If you know the exact location of the gravesite that was not found, or if you know of any other Confederate Soldier that is buried here and not listed then please Contact Us.

Covey, William V. 10/06/1836 01/06/1876 Co. G, 1st Tennessee Infantry Pvt. Pvt. William V. Covey
Freeman, John Littleberry 08/22/1842 01/10/1918 Co. I, 2nd Mississippi   John Littleberry Freeman
Hall, David Leonidas 03/11/1834 12/27/1900 Co. F, 18th Texas Cavalry Sgt. Sgt. David Leonidas Hall
Hays, James Jordan 01/06/1820 02/10/1907 Sutton’s Company Texas Cavalry   James Jordan Hays
Johnson, John Wesley 11/21/1843 01/21/1935 Co. H, 10th Mississippi Cavalry   Gravesite Not Found
Nevill, Andrew Jackson 04/17/1841 02/28/1906 Co. F, 18th Texas Infantry Pvt. Pvt. Andrew Jackson Nevill
Nevill, Thomas L. 07/05/1833 06/10/1882 Co. E, 30th Texas Cavalry Pvt. Pvt. Thomas L. Nevill
Porter, W. D. 08/26/1840 07/17/1914 Co. G, 1st Confederate Cavalry   W. D. Porter
Rowland, James G. 08/10/1845 05/03/1872     James G. Rowland