1st Lt. David Richard Reynolds Camp #2270, SCV, Mount Pleasant, Texas


Murphee, Concord, Jones Cemetery

Not much is chronicled about the Jones Chapel Cemetery, a relatively small rural cemetery located in Southeast Titus County. One of the early settlers of Titus County stated that it was established before their arrival in 1882. Early on, the location supported a school, church and cemetery in close proximity. Even the name is in conflict. Because it is in the Isaac Jones Headright it is called Jones Chapel. However, there is a claim that it was named after the Murphree family who were early settlers and have several members buried here. And lastly it was mislabeled as Concord Cemetery. This probably originated when the school that was originally located there was relocated to the Pittsburg Road (currently US 271) and named Concord school. A non-denominational church also held services there. Then the South Concord Home Demonstration Club undertook the restoration of the cemetery. Subsequently, the Jones Chapel Cemetery Association was formed in 1970. And the cemetery now retains the name, Jones Chapel Cemetery. It covers about 1 acre and is in good condition with many graves. A chain link fence once enclosed the cemetery but that has recently been removed. Recently too, vandals have shot, broken and tipped over the monuments in the cemetery. The Titus County sheriff’s department provided a prisoner work force that did an outstanding job to right the monuments and repair those that could be repaired. Many monuments have been replaced, particularly those of Benjamin, James and Martha Murphree whose remnants of the old stones lie in proximity to the new ones.

Although little remains of facts concerning those that are buried there without monuments, the Mount Pleasant Daily Tribune ran a “History of Jones Chapel” in it’s Sunday, April 18, 1971 edition that listed many names that were available. There are 64 concrete slabs that, at least one time, marked the grave sites of known burials without monuments. No doubt, some of those slabs have been moved and others may lie under encroaching dirt, grass and leaves. Additionally, there are some round concrete markers with identifying letter/number combinations inscribed. These were noted: P43, P45, P59, QR50, J51, U46, TY45, U43, U42, Y39, LM44, LM43. Two monument bases with the monuments removed were also found in the cemetery.

To reach the Jones Chapel Cemetery from the Titus County court house, take Madison Avenue south for 0.3 mile to the intersection of Ferguson Road (US 271). Turn left onto Ferguson Road for 0.1 mile to the intersection with Jefferson Street (US 271). Turn right (South) onto Jefferson Street and proceed 2.8 miles to the intersection from the left with County Road (CR) 4530. Turn left onto CR 4530 and the cemetery lies 0.5 mile on the right. Coordinates: 33o06.699'N 094o57.757'W

At the present time, there is no Guardian for this cemetery. If you are interested, or if you know of any other Confederate Soldier that is buried here and not listed then please Contact Us.

Brown, Samuel M. 09/25/1845 10/08/1880 Co. C, Ragsdale's Battalion Texas Cavalry Pvt. Pvt. Samuel M. Brown
Murphree, Benjamin Thomas 11/05/1844 08/11/1920 Co. H, 42nd Mississippi Infantry Sgt. Sgt. Benjamin Thomas Marphree