1st Lt. David Richard Reynolds Camp #2270, SCV, Mount Pleasant, Texas


Lone Star Cemetery
Guardian: Alvin "Rex" McGee

The Lone Star Cemetery is located in far Northeastern Titus County. It is one of very unique character relative to others in Titus County. It is completely devoid of trees and the monuments are all laid out in straight lines. The latter as a consequence of the specification in the deed granted by R. H. Johnson to the Lone Star School Community. Further, Lynch Harper states in his “Cemeteries of Titus County” that every grave, at the time of his writing, had a name on it. A project implemented by the cemetery committee had resulted in the placement of concrete slabs with imprinted names at the locations of the known graves not having monuments. Many of those slabs remain today but their readability is becoming diminished. These are differentiated in this documented with an asterisk (*). No other style of marker such as rocks, wooden stakes, etc. remain however, another type of concrete marker had some lettering painted on its side, there was an unreadable funeral home marker (FHM) and 2 flat concrete plates with “Morton” imprinted on them.

The three acres constituting the Lone Star Cemetery are surrounded by a chain link fence and the grounds are excellently maintained. Donations from friends and relatives of the interred are received by the committee and a special drive is conducted annually during a decoration day service. A business meeting is conducted on that day.

From an historical standpoint, the first person buried in the cemetery appears to be Talmage Denny, a small child buried in 1911. The earliest birth date belongs to Mary F. Roach who was born August 20, 1839.

To reach the Lone Star Cemetery from the Titus County court house take Jefferson Street north for 1.4 miles to the intersection with Burton Road (service road for IH-30). Turn right (East) onto Burton Road. The on ramp for Interstate 30 will be on the left 0.2 mile from the intersection. Enter IH-30 and proceed 8 miles east and take the Exit 170 FM 1993 off ramp. At the stop sign, turn right (South) onto FM 1993. Proceed 0.1 mile to the intersection of County Road 3140 (CR 34) and turn left (East) onto CR 3140. After 1.9 miles the road intersects with CR3170 (CR35). Turn right onto CR3170 and proceed 1.0 mile. The cemetery lies on the right. Coordinates: 33o14.076'N 094o49.836'W

The Guardian for this cemetery is Alvin "Rex" McGee. If you know of any other Confederate Soldier that is buried here and not listed then please Contact Us.

McCormack, James Merida 01/15/1845 10/02/1913 Co. B, 1st Tennessee Cavalry Pvt. Pvt. James Merida McCormack
Van Zandt, William Jasper abt. 1847 01/01/1921 Captain Hesters Company of Texas Cavalry   William Jasper VanZandt